The Ministry of Digital Affairs (moda) is responsible for promoting Taiwan’s overall digital policy innovation and reform. By consolidating the five major fields of telecommunications, information, cyber security, internet, and communications, moda plans digital development policies and coordinates infrastructure, environment preparation, and resource management to ensure national cyber security, encourage cross-sectoral digital transformation, and enhance digital resilience for all.
Promote national digitalization strategy, coordinate and plan resources for policies
- Consolidate and promote Taiwan’s digital development, planning policy blueprints through visionary guidance, striving for digitalization through interdisciplinary collaborations, and creating an environment for digital resilience through innovative inclusiveness, fostering good governance.
- Analyze digital growth, transformation, related matters, and international trends in digitalization promotion to identify key issues, enabling Taiwan’s digital development policies to meet international standards. Through research and analysis, create digital national power and digitalization indicators and evaluations as well as international competitiveness indicators, evaluations, and planning, grasping the reality of Taiwan’s digital development and potential while unearthing opportunities for digitalization.
- Monitor matters assigned by the President, Vice President, and Premier, as well as decisions, resolutions, and directives of Executive Yuan meetings. Manage moda’s priority projects, oversee and evaluate individual projects of moda and its subordinate departments and assess performance, enhancing administrative efficiency.
Popularize communication infrastructures, reinforce communication network resilience
- Plan and promote critical communication infrastructure subsidies to strengthen Taiwan’s communication network resilience. Create a 3D communication network environment that is ubiquitous and has low latency so Taiwan can become a digital communication network hub in the Asia-Pacific.
- Build a diverse and popularized communication network access environment, popularizing communication service accessibility. Continue to promote broadband network construction in rural areas to ensure the basic communication rights of all citizens and provide indispensable communication services at reasonable, affordable prices and with basic quality.
- Create and establish information security, testing technical specifications and inspection mechanisms to ensure the security and reliability of information and communication equipment. Encourage communication network providers to adhere to regulations, strengthening communication network resilience.
- As per the Telecommunications Management Act and the Cyber Security Management Act, inspect and supervise communication providers in implementing information and communication security plans to reinforce defensive capabilities. Continue to develop features of the National Communications and Cyber Security Center’s (NCCSC) Communications Information Security Monitor, Analysis, and Notification Platform, including C-SOC, C-ISAC, C-CERT, and C-NOC, to ensure Taiwan’s communication network remains secure, reliable, and resilient.
Allocate and manage digital communication resources in advance, ensure public interest
- Plan, prepare, and release radio frequencies and telecommunication numbers according to digital convergence and technological development trends to ensure the availability and use of digital communication resources. Monitor international radio frequency standards and application development and respond to demands of the domestic digital communication industry; create short-, mid-, and long-term radio frequency provision plans to foster a diverse and innovative environment, inspiring new digital applications.
- Create radio frequency and telecommunication number allocation and management systems to understand the reality of digital communication resource usage, maintaining efficient and reasonable resource allocation. Improve digital communication resource usage fee systems to implement efficient telecommunication resource use and help businesses digitalize, protecting citizens’ rights to digital access and ensuring the overall efficiency of resources meets public interests.
- Coordinate and plan the overall strategy for Taiwan’s participation in internet protocol address and domain name-related international organizations. Follow international trends and the latest developments of internet resource public policy issues; guide and supervise Taiwanese organizations managing internet protocol address and domain name registrations to support healthy internet development.
Deepen digital applications, improve government efficiency
- Monitor international progress of and policy trends in government digitalization, reinforce the government’s overall strategy in promoting digital applications and create and coordinate the launch of key digital governance policies. Participate in international digital government collaborations to enhance the government’s international scope and foresight when planning policies.
- Increase the government’s interdisciplinary collaboration efficiency, coordinate and promote the government’s data-based decision-making process, provide support in resolving popular and major policy issues; make use of new technology and data and coordinate the development of government application services not requiring document proof, connect inter-agency digital services and data transmissions to rebuild government service procedures, establishing an integrated and flexible digital government.
- Understand the supply and demand of the government’s digital talent, plan government digital workforce cultivation and retainment strategies, and improve mechanisms for information competency standards, assessment, and training. Increase the quality of government digital services, promote government service system designs, coordinate and launch single portals for government services to enhance the public’s experience of using government services.
- Expand the government’s information and communication capacities, continuously promote reliable, secure, and efficient government network transmission and certification systems. Plan and coordinate government digital service cloud development to create operational resilience within the government digital infrastructure.
Participate in international democratic networks, increase Taiwan’s contributions to the international community
- Participate in international digital democracy development, distributed autonomous organizations, and community activities, expanding the people-public-private partnerships ecosystem to overcome the limitations of traditional international political frameworks, highlighting Taiwan’s status as an innovative model for global digital democracy.
- Plan open-sourced software use and distributed digital certification mechanisms, incubating and promoting innovative domestic and international digital democratic applications to create a diverse digital development environment.
- Form democratic social dialogue and collaboration mechanisms to collectively plan net -zero digitalization policies, gathering Taiwan’s net zero digital communities while facilitating international and interdisciplinary partnerships.
Develop data use, create a data altruism ecosystem
- Deepen the government’s open data and data reuse practices, reinforcing information circulation and format qualities, developing data with high application value that meets public needs and national realities, and building innovative environments for interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Promote the autonomous use of personalized data mechanisms (My Data), putting the principle of data rights into practice. By utilizing identity verification and consent mechanisms, provide access to and allow use of personal data. Through collaborations between the public and private sectors, create personalized and precise services ensuring information security and privacy and expanding the scope of autonomous use of personal data.
- Plan data altruism mechanisms, implement technological development and application issue resolution for privacy enhancement and promote diverse applications for data altruism. Develop and expand data collaboration between non-government and non-profit organizations, encouraging citizens to participate in digital governance and innovations to realize social inclusivity.
Accelerate industry digital innovation and transformation, pave way for the development of digital-related industries
- Promote software industry development, assist with industry digital transformation, develop forward-looking digital technology expertise, cultivate interdisciplinary application talent to deepen international collaborations and exchanges. Encourage development of innovative digital applications with subsidies, facilitating commercial operations, and creating commercial opportunities. Guide businesses in introducing data driven practices and digital technology to reinforce business structure to attain the digital economy development goals of promoting digital capabilities, industry innovation, and transformation.
- Build a service environment for technological applications within the communications industry, creating an ecosystem for interdisciplinary data consolidation and application. Increase the value stemming from existing communication industry clients joining the data altruism ecosystem, guiding the formation of new business models within Taiwan’s communications industry. Develop autonomous 5G private network systems and accelerate the popularization of 5G private networks within all industries and fields through field trials to strengthen industries’ digital abilities.
- Develop new platform economies and reinforce business digital platform application abilities, enhancing industrial competitiveness. Create environments for e-commerce platforms to develop healthily, guide businesses in innovating business models, and forging diverse channels, expanding the market for cross-border e-commerce. Help businesses with open data applications to develop industrial data altruism ecosystems. Promote the development and advancement of the digital content industry to grow the knowledge economy. Assist industries with learning and applying new digital development trends such as Web3.
- Facilitate the development of the cyber security industry and assist in reinforcing cyber security for industrial applications such as the Internet of Things, automation, and supply chains. Promote urban and rural intellectualization, improving quality of life, and enhancing local economies through means such as data altruism and innovative application field practice. Grow the sports data industry, using technology such as extended reality to develop innovative sport services and popularize technological sport culture. Export excellent system consolidation solutions, assist system integration businesses with grasping New Southbound Policy industrial trends via international collaborations and organizations to expand the market and attain mutually beneficial situations.
Enhance information and communication security defense capacities, elevate the national digital development environment defense resilience
- Strengthen government agencies active defense systems, develop the national cyber security development program through public and private sector efforts , promote the gradual introduction of zero-trust network mechanisms among government agencies, combine governmental, industrial, and academic resources to expand cyber security capacities to include private organizations, building a resilient, secure, smart country under the approach of "cyber security equals national security."
- Implement the Cyber Security Management Act, supervise government agencies and specific nongovernment agencies in reinforcing cybersecurity measures, notify cybersecurity incidents and continuously improve emergency responses, conduct drills and inspections to confirm the level of government agency cyber security plan implementation, safeguarding national security and public interests.
- Create a need-based cyber security talent cultivation system, develop cyber security competency standards and training blueprints, enhance the cyber security talent training ecosystem, optimize cyber security workforce retainment and training mechanisms, promote cyber security performance evaluation systems, assisting government agencies cultivate high-level cyber security talent.